There are no upcoming events at this time.
Prince Lobel has leveraged the experience of its various practice groups to provide a wide range of legal services to the health care industry. Below are the types of work we have done and continue to do on behalf of our health care clients:
Labor and Employment Litigation and Counseling
- Defended the region’s largest health care system and their network of hospitals before administrative agencies, as well as in state and federal courts, against allegations of discrimination (age, race, national origin, color, disability), retaliation, wrongful termination, civil rights, and other claims.
- Advised hospital during the process of termination of a physician’s employment for embezzlement.
- Drafted severance agreements for senior executives.
- Provided counseling concerning disciplinary action against physicians.
- Revised severance agreements for compliance with Older Workers Benefits Protection Act (“OWBPA”).
- Analyzed requests for intermittent and other types of leave pursuant to the Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”).
- Evaluated requests for reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities.
Health Care Investigation and False Claims
- Defended pharmaceutical company and community health centers in Medicare and Medicaid fraud investigations.
- Represented health care system and group of approximately 50 hospitals in class action lawsuit against medical transcription vendor for fraudulent billing practices.
- Investigated allegations of improper kickbacks to physicians by pharmaceutical companies.
- Extensive experience defending False Claims Act allegations.
- Represented individuals in Medicaid applications.
Insurance and Reinsurance
- Represented captive insurer for teaching hospitals in insurance coverage issues.
- Provided global review and analysis of reinsurance structure and policies for insurer of teaching hospitals.
- Advised insurer concerning Employment Practices Liability Insurance (“EPLI”).
- Advised insurer concerning stop-loss policies.
- Represented ERISA fiduciary (i.e., plan administrator) in coverage dispute with self-funded provider/employer.
- Advise hospitals regarding Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”) and data mining issues.
- Represented regional corporation in notifying 1,000 employees of a security breach after electronic data theft.
- Represented community health organization in development and drafting of written information security program (“WISP”) in compliance with Massachusetts privacy regulations.
- Audit of and drafting of website privacy policies and terms and conditions associated with health care industry.
- Advise clients with regard to data privacy insurance policies and coverage questions.
- Conducted real estate leasing for community health center.
Physicians and Practice Groups
- Defended two physicians in Superior Court against claims arising out of the breakup of a medical partnership.
- Represented physicians in medical malpractice cases.
- Represented physician practice groups in such matters as stockholder buy-ins, agreements between the practice groups and hospitals, intellectual property, and other contractual matters.
- Represented high-profile physicians in negotiating employment contacts and severance agreements.
- Represented one of the region’s premier teaching hospitals in appellate matters concerning guardianship of patients.
- Conducted training and coaching sessions for doctors and nurses concerning discrimination, harassment, and other management issues.
- Drafted confidentiality agreements, releases and other forms for fertility clinic; developed best practice guidelines for ownership of sperm and eggs.
- Represented senior housing and care facility concerning investment matters.